Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dumplings At Last!






For those of you that know me well, you know that steamed dumplings are high on my list of favorite foods. My aunt recently gave me a recipe and vague instructions and I finally worked up the courage to make them. Biting into this hot, salty pocket made me SO HAPPY. Making these little babes is exciting and actually quite simple.

A cup of cabbage (napa or savoy works best)
One grated carrot
About a cup of ground pork, beef, or bean curd
A bit of grated fresh ginger
One egg
Salt and pepper
Wonton or dumpling wrappers

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Place about a tablespoon of filling in the center of the wrapper, wet the edges with a paper towel, and pinch tightly shut. Heat a pan with a small tablespoon of olive or peanut oil. Fill the pan with dumplings, making sure not to stack or overlap them. Let them sear for a minute, then add a cup of water, cover, and let steam until all water is evaporated, about ten minutes. Cook off all dumplings in batches and enjoy with soy sauce!

Photos by Dustin Underhill and me.

2 comments:

  1. A local restaurant uses a ginger garlic soy sauce...it is really too....give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Looks so yummy, I'm going to have to try these! Glad your recipe was posted by IIN and your blog looks great - nice to find another advocate for fun, easygoing approaches to real food. :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete