Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chicken Soup

It's such a waste to throw away a perfectly good roast chicken carcass, so I decided to try making stock. This turned out to be a great idea, because I made delicious soup out of what would have been tossed! Of course, you can also roast the chicken yourself.

How I made chicken stock:
Put the bones and whatever fatty meat or gristle is still attached in a pot with a few quarts of water. Add whatever tired vegetables you have in your fridge, which for me were carrots and large red onion. Bring this to a boil with a couple teaspoons of salt. Reduce heat to simmer and let it do its thing for as long as you are around the house. I found that after four hours, mine tasted like a nice hearty stock, but I know you can leave it on much longer. Add water if it boils down too much. 
After the stock tastes the way you want it to, strain it with a colander (or pick all the bones out).

How I made chicken soup:
Olive oil
Garlic, shallots, or onion
One or two carrots, cut into wheels
A cup of pasta, uncooked 
Chicken, torn into bite size pieces
Whatever stray veggies you have in your fridge

Heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Dice a few cloves of garlic, or a shallot, or an onion and add to hot oil. After they have softened, add the stock and carrots. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente. Then add chicken and any other ingredients you feel the soup needs. I had cooked collard greens that I chopped up and added at the end. If your veggies are raw, add them before the pasta. Fresh herbs would also taste lovely sprinkled on top. I would have added ground fresh ginger if I had some, too.
Salt and pepper it to taste. And I always add a dash of Sriracha!

No comments:

Post a Comment